I am in my thirties and still stutter. Neverheless, I am convinced that there is a stuttering cure out there. Many people with this speech problem became fluent and many sound fluent even though they still stutter.
The main factors affecting stammering could be:
- Auditory Processing Underactivity – Looks like we have difficulties with combining what we hear ourselves saying with how we feel our muscles moving.
- Speech Motor Control Overactivity – This area which controls speech motor muscles is overactive.
- Dopamine – This means high levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the left caudate nucleus speech motor control area, which contributes to the problem mentioned above.
- Response Selection to Stress – Stuttering is a reaction to stress and sets up a savings cycle.
- Psychological Effects – We have loads of fears and anxieties.
Stuttering cure should cover all of these topics. Now, does anyone think that if we seek a professional therapist who has been in this business for a long time, this person will not find the right tools to help us? When the main factors are well known?
I am convinced that he or she definitely will! I have been to different therapies which involved articulating, reading out loud, breathing techniques, slow speaking, hypnosis, psychologist and all of them helped me in a way. Look at them and then at the factors mentioned above. Can you see that each one is orientated for a particular problem?
That is why I would like to encourage you to look for your stuttering cure. It is never late and never enough. You will find out a lot of things about yourself you did not know and your horizons will expand. You will be able to beat those terrible fears and forget about your speech. I know that the journey will not be easy, but what is. Maybe you will realize that stuttering is not a problem at all. We will see.